HEZ Engagement Specialist
The Engagement Specialist will actively engage community members in the new Health Equity Zone (HEZ) initiative in Providence’s 02907 zip code. In this role, the specialist will provide important insight into how to authentically engage community residents within the West End, Elmwood, South Elmwood, Reservoir and South Providence neighborhoods. The Engagement Specialist will help to ensure that resident voices both inform the work of the HEZ and are included in initiative decision making.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Support efforts to ensure that the 02907 community health assessment is informed by community voices to identify both community strengths and challenges.
- Help members of the HEZ collaborative to engage individuals, groups, organizations and communities in the assessment through many strategies.
- Actively organize and help lead community events and activities (focus groups, community meetings, community events, surveys, etc.) to collect community input.
- Represent the HEZ at local events, community gatherings, workshops, trainings and with community leaders, local politicians, and community-based organizations.
- Share information with individuals, colleagues, and communities to help plan and carry out HEZ related programs, services, and advocacy.
- Gain insights about needed resources and changes required to improve community health.
- Gather information from different sources to better understand individuals, families, and communities.
- Assist communities to identify their goals, barriers to change, and supports for problem solving.
- Share community assessment results with colleagues and communities to inform planning and health improvement efforts.
- Resident of the 02907 zip code (Providence’s West End, Elmwood, Reservoir Triangle, or South Providence neighborhoods) preferred.
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English and at least one other language commonly spoken by residents of the 02907 zip code.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Comfort working with diverse communities
- An intrinsic desire to improve the health of individuals and communities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to effectively work independently and in collaboration with multiple staff and partners.
- Ability to build and sustain trust and rapport with community members based on listening and respect.
This is a part time consulting position and will require evening and weekend work. The consultant will be expected to work approximately 120 hours between January 3 and June 30, 2019. Continued work will be contingent on available funding and initiative priorities. Benefits include the opportunity to be part of a dynamic community based team, opportunities to learn about and help address important community issues, great networking, and professional development.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter via e-mail to Dominique Resendes at firstname.lastname@example.org.