Part-Time HEZ Community Health Worker
Part-Time (20 hours/week)
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation (WEHDC) serves as the backbone agency of the 02907 Health Equity Zone (HEZ). A Health Equity Zone (HEZ) is an innovative, place-based approach that brings people together to build healthy, resilient communities across Rhode Island. The 02907 community has seen a disproportionately high number of COVID-19 cases as compared to other parts of Providence and across the state of Rhode Island.
The 02907 HEZ is seeking a Part-time Community Health Worker to begin immediately. The Community Health Worker will work with the 02907 Health Equity Zone to provide culturally appropriate support to 02907 residents related to COVID-19 testing, vaccination education, contact tracing, and service delivery.
The Community Health Worker will report to the Health Equity Zone Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Develop and maintain effective communications with community members, partner organizations, RIDOH, CHWs and others working in to identify and address COVID-19 related challenges.
● Work with Community Outreach Specialist to implement marketing strategies to encourage COVID-19 vaccination and testing in 02907.
● Work with CHW teams within 02907 HEZ to establish a communication channel between local vaccination sites and community organizations to collaborate on initiatives to encourage vaccination Assess the needs of residents in isolation and provide community-based referrals to the necessary supports.
● Maintain timely and accurate records and documentation as required.
● Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to applicable time frames and formats.
● Relay vital COVID-19 information to residents through multiple channels and address frequently asked questions related to testing, vaccination, contact tracing, and/or isolation.
● Gain insights about needed resources and changes required to improve COVID-19 response in the 02907 community.
● Attends meetings, webinars and trainings to keep informed of changing trends or updates on COVID-19 testing and vaccination.
● Provide outreach at community gathering places, events, local spaces, and high-traffic areas where people congregate.
● High School diploma and a combination of education and skills to effectively carry out responsibilities and assignments; such as previous experience working in a community-based setting.
● Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English and at least one other language preferred.
● Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as required.
● Ability to work independently and effectively in a team environment; collaborate with other HEZ/CHW team.
● High level of interpersonal skills and excellent writing and oral communication skills to collect data.
● Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with community members, residents, partner organizations, local businesses, etc.
● Ability to both work remotely and work in a typical office setting and operate standard office equipment, including computers, printers, telephones, and copiers.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to satisfactorily perform essential duties. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office applications such as Excel, Word, etc.
● Knowledge of the direct service organizations in Providence.
● Ability to effectively work independently and in collaboration with multiple staff and partners.
● Ability to maintain sensitivity to individual, system, and cultural dynamics that affect behavior and relationships
● Ability to build and sustain trust and rapport with residents and community members based on listening and respect.
This is a part time position and will require evening and/or weekend work. Continued work will be contingent on available funding and initiative priorities.
To apply, please send your resume and a brief cover letter via e-mail to Jessica Thigpen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. WEHDC is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in Rhode Island.