Community Building & Engagement Support Specialist VISTA
West Elmwood Housing Development Corporation (WEHDC)’s vision is to promote the development of a healthy, sustainable community through cultivating and enabling homeownership and economic development. It strives to realize this vision by building and renovating homes, attracting resources into the neighborhood, and investing in the diverse people who live in, work in and support the community. It accomplishes these goals by offering a variety of programs and services related to real estate development, economic development, homeownership development, including lending and community building and organizing. It is also involved in managing the properties and other assets it owns. WEHDC is located in a wonderful, culturally diverse neighborhood on the west end of Providence, RI. Our VISTA will help build out a creative database that can capture all the wonderful contributions WEH offers to the community. There will be thought-provoking workshops and activities that will help train up our VISTA, providing them with the tools they need for their success here at WEH. Helpful attributes and skills we are looking for would be a positive disposition, a willingness to learn, and the ability or understanding of how the functions within a database work to create measurable outcomes. The start date for this assignment would be August 16, 2021, and the finish date will be September 11, 2022. For more information please do not hesitate to Contact Sonia Thomas at 401-453-3220 X24 or email@example.com.
- VISTA will research community organizations aligned with WEHDC mission and work with agency staff to decipher who is a new connection, and who we are working with already.
- VISTA will create a community map with new community connections.
- VISTA will share the community map with agency staff as a valuable resource.
- VISTA will reach out to community organizations by email or phone with introductory letters, explaining the programs WEHDC has for the community.
- VISTA will plan a meeting with 2 community connections and explore potential ways to work together in the future.
- VISTA will work with the supervisor to review the next steps with the community connections made and support future partnerships fostered through this outreach.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- A positive disposition & a willingness to learn
- The ability or understanding of how the functions within a database work to create measurable outcomes
The start date for this assignment would be August 16, 2021, and the finish date will be September 11, 2022.
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Education award upon successful completion of service
- Relocation Allowance
- Health Coverage
- Living Allowance
- Childcare assistance if eligible