NeighborWorks Housing Counselor
Reports to: Deputy Director
Status: Full Time Exempt Position
The Housing Counselor provides comprehensive group and individual counseling services to prospective homebuyers and existing homeowners. The counseling sessions may cover a broad array of areas related to the skills, knowledge and confidence necessary to rehabilitate and/or build financial confidence, buy a home or maintain a home. The Housing Counselor’s main responsibility is to assess those obstacles faced by the clients in pursuit of his or her goal(s), and to develop a corrective action plan or “roadmap to success”. The Housing Counselor’s ultimate role is to utilize tools related to budgeting, debt reduction, credit re-building, and consumer awareness to facilitate the customer’s progress towards the goal. The position requires the ability and capacity to effectively explain, describe and market HomeOwnership awareness/programs to a wide range of individuals, organizations and businesses; utilizing marketing materials, local media sources and coordinating appearances at area functions and events. The Housing Counselor markets all lending, education and development projects available to existing and potential first time homebuyers.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Conducts comprehensive group and individual counseling sessions.
- Assesses mortgage-readiness status, triaging customers, identifying obstacles, developing corrective-action plans, assigning customer tasks, and facilitating customer progress toward his or her ultimate goal.
- Maintains schedule of appointments for counseling sessions and effective and efficient system for customer follow-up.
- Adheres to all guidelines related to confidentiality.
- Maintains and updates customer records after each counseling session in CounselorMax and/or other pertinent customer-tracking systems.
- Creates a hard-copy file for each counseling customer that includes the intake form, credit report, counselor analysis and corrective action plan.
- Organizes counseling workshops and/or homebuyers’ education sessions.
- Assist with the development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing/outreach plan for recruiting customers and investing partners for the counseling program.
- Responsible for the organization and development of NeighborWorks Week events
- Assist with HomeOwnership Center special projects as assigned and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and operate a successful counseling program.
- Recommends improvements in products and procedures as necessary to ensure the optimum efficiency and effectiveness of the service delivery systems.
- Provides foreclosure prevention and intervention services.
- Provides counseling and technical assistance throughout the purchase process.
- Performs all other duties deemed necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- HUD Housing Counselor Certification is a plus.
- Ability to perform duties in a confidential manner.
- Detail oriented with ability to organize complex material in clear and concise manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in establishing goals and objectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated skill in organizing time and prioritizing workload.
- Good working knowledge of the components of a housing/financial counseling program.
- Good working knowledge of the home buying process.
- Knowledge of lending products and various homeowner assistance programs.
- Ability to participate in national NeighborWorks America trainings annually in order to obtain the necessary certifications required for position. Upon completion of certifications, traveling requirements will decrease
- Ability to speak multiple languages preferred.
- Standing and walking less than 20%.
- Normal Office Environment.
- Some evenings and weekends required.
- Travel required for training seminars both locally and nationally.
Send your resume and a cover letter describing your qualifications via email to email@example.com by Monday, April 12, 2021. Please include “Housing Counselor” in the email subject line.